Cranial Trauma and Raised Intracranial Pressure
A 26-year-old motorcyclist arrives at an Abu Dhabi trauma centre 50 minutes after a collision. His GCS was 13 at the scene and is now 8 (E1 V2 M5), the right pupil is 6 mm and sluggish, blood pressure 172/70 mmHg and pulse 54. He has been intubated. CT shows a 22 mm right temporoparietal extradural haematoma with 9 mm midline shift, effaced basal cisterns and a temporal fracture; cervical spine CT and FAST are normal. How would you manage him?
What the panel is testing: The panel is testing whether you recognise impending herniation from a surgical lesion and act without delay, applying Brain Trauma Foundation targets.
Show the answer outline
Knowledge: This is an acute extradural haematoma, usually from the middle meningeal artery beneath a temporal fracture, with a lucid interval then deterioration. The dilating ipsilateral pupil and the Cushing response of hypertension with bradycardia indicate uncal herniation. It meets every operative criterion: volume over 30 mL, thickness over 15 mm, shift over 5 mm and GCS below 9 with anisocoria. Isolated extradural haematomas evacuated promptly often do well, so minutes matter. I would still look for a subdural, contusions, a contralateral lesion and vascular injury. Hypoxia, hypotension, hypercarbia, fever and glucose derangement each worsen outcome.
Management: I call theatre now for emergency craniotomy, keeping spinal precautions. Meanwhile: head up 30 degrees, neck neutral, sedation, saturation above 94 percent, PaCO2 35 to 40 mmHg and systolic pressure at least 110 mmHg. As a bridge I give mannitol 0.5 to 1 g/kg or hypertonic saline, with brief hyperventilation only until the incision. I send coagulation, platelets and crossmatch and reverse any anticoagulant. In theatre I perform a trauma craniotomy rather than burr holes alone, evacuate the clot, control the middle meningeal artery and place dural hitch stitches. He then goes to neuro-ICU with a repeat CT within 24 hours or on deterioration, ICP monitoring if contusions or swelling were present, phenytoin for 7 days against early seizures, and chemical VTE prophylaxis once the scan is stable. I would not give corticosteroids, which increased mortality in CRASH. Follow-up includes rehabilitation and cognitive review.
Ethics and communication: He lacks capacity and delay would harm him, so I operate under the emergency exception to consent in Federal Decree-Law No. 4 of 2016 on Medical Liability, recording reasons and times. When the family arrives I explain what was done and that recovery is uncertain, without false reassurance. Police enquiries go through the facility's formal channel only.
Likely panel follow-up questions
- What ICP and cerebral perfusion pressure thresholds does the Brain Trauma Foundation recommend?
- When would you choose decompressive craniectomy, and what did DECRA and RESCUEicp show?
- A peripheral hospital two hours away has a similar patient and no neurosurgeon. What do you advise?
- How would you manage a post-operative ICP of 28 mmHg despite sedation?
Pitfalls in this case
- Waiting for family consent or further imaging before evacuation
- Prolonged prophylactic hyperventilation to a PaCO2 below 30 mmHg
- Giving corticosteroids for traumatic brain injury
- Forgetting the cervical spine and secondary insults while focusing on the clot
Reference: Guidelines for the Management of Severe Traumatic Brain Injury, 4th edition, Brain Trauma Foundation, 2016; American College of Surgeons, Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) Student Course Manual, 10th ed, 2018